Sunday, December 29, 2013

A letter to the the President

I wrote this letter to the White House today:

"Dear President Obama, I voted for you in both of the past elections. I am a citizen who is very concerned about the future of our beautiful planet and humanity. New evidence coming to light regarding global warming and the nuclear catastrophe of Fukushima have made my apprehensions about our future even stronger. I do and have always believed that you are a good man at heart. I reach out because I see the need for policy change at the highest levels if we are to save ourselves and our great country. I see that humanity, as a whole, needs to sit down at the table together, putting aside our political, religious and ethical differences and get real about our future. I picture a great meeting happening. This would have representatives from all over the world including business leaders, religious leaders and average human beings. The goal would be to acknowledge what we, as a species, are doing to the planet we depend on for survival and for us to come up with a workable plan quickly. There is some very sobering data now available on the rate at which global warming is happening. Nuclear energy is unsafe. Renewable energy options are plentiful and becoming more inexpensive all of the time. I have some real ideas to help. I recently learned that I will be a father soon and this realization has changed my world. I would love to meet with you and to make this great meeting of humanity a reality. I don't know if you will ever hear of this letter I wrote but I pray you do. Your presidency could leave the greatest legacy in human history--the time when we came together as a species and decided that the beautiful planet we live on is worth saving. Thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment